Thursday, February 25, 2010

Day one - putting the pieces together




Stardate Feb 25, 2010 - This past summer, I expressed interest in building a kayak to a friend of mine (I will refer to him as Tim). It was kind of a passing thought. When I got home, Tim had emailed me links to a few companies who offer kits. I wasn't really that serious when I made the comment until I looked at some of the photos. Eventually, one of the photos from the site made it to my wallpaper, as a self-inflicted tease to coax me into the decision. I told many friends that I was going to build a kayak, further commiting me to this course.

Last week, before flying out to a vessel which couldn't be further from a kayak, a few packages arrived. One was 8 feet long, contained about 32 pieces of wood and a collection of other items that would become part of a kayak in time. It also containd a manual on everything you wanted to know about epoxy, resins, hardeners and the like. Another manual outlined in detail, all of the steps needed to construct the craft. How fortunate - reading material for the flight.

I realized that I had some work to do and that I was indeed building a kayak. If it goes through the water without listing or leaking, I will be elated.

Today, after spending weeks reviewing information about epoxy, kayak assembly, and also gathering the courage to start, I managed to join 6 pieces from the port side of the stern to 6 pieces from the port side of the bow. Over the next few days, the steps needed to do this will be repeated 3 more times - first on the back side of the port pieces assembled today, then repeat on the starboard side.

The method of assembly is known as stitch and glue. These 12 pieces of the hull will be temporarily "stitched" together using baling wire, glued and then strengtherned with fiberglass and epoxy.

Oh - this is being assembled in my basement...I think I can get it out once constructed. Tom, my canoeing buddy, thinks so. Should I be concerned that he spent a few minutes evaluating the removal of one of my basement windows?

1 comment:

  1. Rege I am awaiting further developments on this blog. How is it going? Can't wait to see it progress

    ReplyDelete